Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets u20s ,Wales Selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

My partners boy has played with Llangennech with him and he says his stats are about right. IMHO he will be full international within 4 years. Don't forget, Quinnell was a bit of a scrawny lad at this age.
 Which Quinnell was this? I'm old enough to remember Derrick at this age, and although he had to drink god knows how many pints of milk a day to put on weight I wouldn't call him scrawny, and his 3 sons certainly didn't need that treatment.
ody 

It certainly can,t be Scott as a 16 year old playing for Llanelli Youth if my memory serves me right scored 36 tries in a season ,playing against many boys three years older than him .

Scott even at that young age had great upper body strength,and his unique body position with his low centre of gravity was superb 

[/QUOTE]
oh for another scott.
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 6:44pm
I'm not sure what's happened here  as the original quote is from supertaf but the 1st reply is mine and starts with  "I'm old enough......
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 6:51pm

I'm not sure what's happened here  as the original quote is from supertaf but the 1st reply is mine and starts with  "I'm old enough......

Sorry should have quoted his post LOL
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 7:44pm

My partners boy has played with Llangennech with him and he says his stats are about right. IMHO he will be full international within 4 years. Don't forget, Quinnell was a bit of a scrawny lad at this age.
 Which Quinnell was this? I'm old enough to remember Derrick at this age, and although he had to drink god knows how many pints of milk a day to put on weight I wouldn't call him scrawny, and his 3 sons certainly didn't need that treatment.
ody 

It certainly can,t be Scott as a 16 year old playing for Llanelli Youth if my memory serves me right scored 36 tries in a season ,playing against many boys three years older than him .

Scott even at that young age had great upper body strength,and his unique body position with his low centre of gravity was superb 

[/QUOTE]
My memory of Scott as a less well built youngster was with blonde hair scoring against Pooler at Pooler park. 92-93 as its on the scarlet fever video. Didn't look a massive lad then but you could tell he was class.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

ody 

My memory of Scott as a less well built youngster was with blonde hair scoring against Pooler at Pooler park. 92-93 as its on the scarlet fever video. Didn't look a massive lad then but you could tell he was class.
[/QUOTE]

He was a natural ball-carrier even at a young age Mark,as you saying probably was,nt the biggest but as I said his low centre of gravity made him very difficult to tackle .Scott went on to be Wales best carrying forwards we have ever produced .

Going back to Tom Phillips a huge game from him last night .
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 8:22pm
Tom Phillips and Dan Jones both have what it takes to succeed at pro level. Dafydd Hughes is solid enough, though the Scarlets have more than enough hookers, Shaun Evans is an average joe, plenty of players have workrate, he's too small for a 6 and so has been moved to 7 which isn't a natural position for him. Good win for the u20s without being particularly impressive. Let's not forget some of these boys are still of school age and the majority are still of youth age and so they have plenty of developing to do as have other boys who aren't in the age grade frame!
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 10:43pm
Last night Shaun Evans gave the impression that he had been playing 7 for years. Admittedly he's not big  but Pocock has played 8 for Australia and he's not tall.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2016 at 1:06am

Last night Shaun Evans gave the impression that he had been playing 7 for years. Admittedly he's not big  but Pocock has played 8 for Australia and he's not tall.
Pocock is massive
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2016 at 8:49am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Pocock is massive

Perhaps he means Hooper, who's 6'0". Hooper, Pocock, they're a team anyway and seemingly interchangeable on the field. Anyway, thought Phillips looked the most natural 6 we've produced since Shingler. And he looked much older than 19, but probably because of the collosal beard and old-school head-tape.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
maldwyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maldwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2016 at 12:06pm
Watched Llanelli v Australia 92 last night and noticed Perego was 6ft 14.7 stone and Lyn Jones was on the other flank. I don't know what Lyn was weighing in at but he was most likley smaller.
 Colin Bach played a blinder that day even putting John Eales out of the game early on when he fell on him.
Those were the days and sad to say they'll never be repeated.

Edited by maldwyn - 07 February 2016 at 12:07pm
Up the bum no harm done.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2016 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by maldwyn maldwyn wrote:

Watched Llanelli v Australia 92 last night and noticed Perego was 6ft 14.7 stone and Lyn Jones was on the other flank. I don't know what Lyn was weighing in at but he was most likley smaller.
 Colin Bach played a blinder that day even putting John Eales out of the game early on when he fell on him.
Those were the days and sad to say they'll never be repeated.

Perego was a beast of a 6( not size but presence). Most probably the best technical tackling 6 we've ever produced.dont make them like that no more.He was very lucky in the fact he had monsters as no.8's around him to take on the burden of carrying the ball. He and lyn could concentrate on their primary jobs - tackling and turnovers.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Llywarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2016 at 7:25pm
Pocock is not massive. He's about the same height as Hooper but a good stone heavier, in terms of weight neither of them are huge. In fact what makes pocock so good over the ball is that he is so small. 
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2016 at 8:11pm

ody 

He was a natural ball-carrier even at a young age Mark,as you saying probably was,nt the biggest but as I said his low centre of gravity made him very difficult to tackle .Scott went on to be Wales best carrying forwards we have ever produced .

[/QUOTE]
Agree with that and I think Tom has the minerals to go far
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2016 at 8:52pm

ody 

Agree with that and I think Tom has the minerals to go far

[/QUOT

Tom was immense on Friday night Mark ,great work rate and lead from the front .
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2016 at 4:16am
Originally posted by Llywarch Llywarch wrote:

Pocock is not massive. He's about the same height as Hooper but a good stone heavier, in terms of weight neither of them are huge. In fact what makes pocock so good over the ball is that he is so small. 

Pocock is down as a 115kg
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2016 at 7:15am
104 Kg and 6'2" Pocock is down as according to Wikipedia.

Not massive by any standard.

Edited by haydn_davies - 09 February 2016 at 7:19am
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic