Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Owen Williams potential dual contract offer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 10:29pm
Unfortunately Gatland's idea of a dual contract is one that allows him to do well in next year's world cup by bringing back players like Lydiate and bringing in Anscombe. This contrasts with our hopes that the money would be spent keeping our best young players in Wales with the regions. When Rhys sees Anscombe probably getting a dual contract, he's probably thinking - I've nothing to lose going for a big payday in Bath as I'm unlikely to play for Wales again anyway.
Sponsored Links

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by InTheBath InTheBath wrote:

With Bath's attacking structure and players like Eastmond, Joseph, Watson, Burgess etc Rhys would be fantastic.

If he goes to Bath I can see him spending a lot of time at fullback. They've been picking Henson at 15 purely because he has a long punt.

Rhys won't unseat George Ford so his time at 10 would be pretty much limited to international windows
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I don't think I will ever get over the apathy of the people in the town and about who clearly don't value the superb facility in the town called the Scarlets with a total of about 5000 season ticket members and then floaters.  If we had 12000 a game with all that extra income! It's not going to happen sadly. Yes I guess I feel bitter really. 
As me and Mrs Wasp walked into the Multi million pound stadium on Sunday looking at all the TV gear and the Ulster kit van, knowing all those stars were soon to walk out on the field I did remark to her what a shame it was that people just didn't appreciate what they have in that town.

Amazing really
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 11:07pm
Well said famille Wasp.

IMO,

Pivac is great with people.

He's a few cards up his sleeve in the negotiations that lie ahead.

Fingers crossed how it all pans out.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
OwainLlanedi View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I don't think I will ever get over the apathy of the people in the town and about who clearly don't value the superb facility in the town called the Scarlets with a total of about 5000 season ticket members and then floaters.  If we had 12000 a game with all that extra income! It's not going to happen sadly. Yes I guess I feel bitter really. 

As me and Mrs Wasp walked into the Multi million pound stadium on Sunday looking at all the TV gear and the Ulster kit van, knowing all those stars were soon to walk out on the field I did remark to her what a shame it was that people just didn't appreciate what they have in that town.

Amazing really

Things will only keep worsening if these three go (not that I believe all of them will). The club have a duty too.

Edited by OwainLlanedi - 16 December 2014 at 11:10pm
"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 6:22pm
Just been having a look at the Drags forum and they feel Owen Williams if offered a DC should be placed with them, along with Rhodri Jones because the Scarlets have Priestland and Lee.
So by my understanding they want all the DC players from the other Regions with players in the same position placed with them.
Maybe they could try and develop players instead
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Just been having a look at the Drags forum and they feel Owen Williams if offered a DC should be placed with them, along with Rhodri Jones because the Scarlets have Priestland and Lee.
So by my understanding they want all the DC players from the other Regions with players in the same position placed with them.

I've been thinking about this for a while. There are rumours that WG wants to place Owen at the Dragons, but supposing we get him, Warbs is at the Blues and Lydiate at the Ospreys. So, Foxy comes back and you see the trend forming where DC players come home to everywhere apart from the Dragons. There's going to be a clamour at some point for a "name" to be given to the Drags......but we are not there yet.
Besides, the player has a choice here.

Scarlet O'Hara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet O'Hara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 6:57pm

I hope they will enjoy their time playing for Crosskeys then. LOL
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 7:30pm
That sounds like an attractive proposition, play for Newport in front of two men and their dog, getting stuffed every week, good player development proposal. Has no one worked out yet that Gats is on a quest to single handed kill off any chance of Wales being any good at Rugby......................
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

I've been thinking about this for a while. There are rumours that WG wants to place Owen at the Dragons, but supposing we get him, Warbs is at the Blues and Lydiate at the Ospreys. So, Foxy comes back and you see the trend forming where DC players come home to everywhere apart from the Dragons. There's going to be a clamour at some point for a "name" to be given to the Drags......but we are not there yet.
Besides, the player has a choice here.

The player has a choice, and that choice is going to help to kill the Dragons as a serious region I think.
Would Wales be better off giving up on Newport and using the money to make RGC into a better vehicle for developing rugby in the North?
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 7:57pm

Would Wales be better off giving up on Newport and using the money to make RGC into a better vehicle for developing rugby in the North?

The Union should not have that power IMO. Let's face it, it's such an archaic organisation that it can be hijacked by a cabal of here-today, gone-tomorrow execs who can do what they want with it. As we have seen in recent years with what Lewis has been allowed to get away with.

That said, the Dragons should unquestionably receive a lot less funding than the other three regions by virtue of them producing basically nothing for the international cause. If you listen to Dragons supporters, they blame a lack of money on the fact that they've been so awful for so long. Actually it's less to do with that and more to do with the fact that they are incapable of producing and developing top quality players. 

To answer your question, yes Wales would be better off investing in North Wales as opposed Gwent, as for generations now Gwent has produced next to nothing for Wales despite an equal share of investment from central funds.

Hallam Amos is the only Gwent product that's come through the NGD academy and been capped by Wales in 11 years of regional rugby. It's pretty scandalous.

Edited by Mike - 17 December 2014 at 8:04pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">

</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Would Wales be better off giving up on Newport and using the money to make RGC into a better vehicle for developing rugby in the North?</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
The Union should not have that power IMO. Let's face it, it's such an archaic organisation that it can be hijacked by a cabal of here-today, gone-tomorrow execs who can do what they want with it. As we have seen in recent years with what Lewis has been allowed to get away with.

That said, the Dragons should unquestionably receive a lot less funding than the other three regions by virtue of them producing basically nothing for the international cause. If you listen to Dragons supporters, they blame a lack of money on the fact that they've been so awful for so long. Actually it's less to do with that and more to do with the fact that they are incapable of producing and developing top quality players. 

To answer your question, yes Wales would be better off investing in North Wales as opposed Gwent, as for generations now Gwent has produced next to nothing for Wales despite an equal share of investment from central funds.

Hallam Amos is the only Gwent product that's come through the NGD academy and been capped by Wales in 11 years of regional rugby. It's pretty scandalous.

wow!that is some stat there mike,they couldn't really have much to moan about if their funding was cut.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

But for some reason it seems PRW have decided that the DC money needs to be filtered to them as well. I can't believe that Gatland prioritised the Gwent two over other out of contract players like Liam, Jake, Tipuric (not sure what he thinks of Rhys now) on purely rugby grounds
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 8:40pm

But for some reason it seems PRW have decided that the DC money needs to be filtered to them as well. I can't believe that Gatland prioritised the Gwent two over other out of contract players like Liam, Jake, Tipuric (not sure what he thinks of Rhys now) on purely rugby grounds
Sweetener deal so they wouldn't kick up a fuss over Lydiate heading to Ospreys?

Edited by minded - 17 December 2014 at 8:40pm
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

B<span style="line-height: 1.4;">ut for some reason it seems PRW have decided that the DC money needs to be filtered to them as well. I can't believe that Gatland prioritised the Gwent two over other out of contract players like Liam, Jake, Tipuric (not sure what he thinks of Rhys now) on purely rugby grounds</span>

Sweetener deal so they wouldn't kick up a fuss over Lydiate heading to Ospreys?

Remind me - who is chair of the WRU?

Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:56pm
The only thing I do know is that this thread will reach 100 pages before we know for sure who is staying, who is going, and who is coming in. LOL
Scarlets!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>
  Share Topic