Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rolling mauls.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2015 at 11:59am
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

But they can't back off either, as leaving a lineout before it is over is also a penalty offence.

Fine lines ... fine lines !

So what can they do?

If you (as a defender) don't want a maul to form, does this mean the defending side need to leave a gap level with the attacking maul, so that they can't engage with any defenders?

And what does 'leaving the lineout' mean?

Is it possible under a strict  interpretation that a player coming to take the ball off the jumper has 'left the lineout', if he steps back, so that the only way to pass it on is to someone still level with the jumper - and so tackle-able?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2015 at 4:18am
Think back to "how a maul is formed" you're overthinking it, to for a maul the opposition must "bind" onto the opposition NOT jus be in contact with them. If the team in possession run into the defending team then a maul isn't formed until a defender binds with at least one "full" arm. There was a classic example of this tonight when we disrupted their catch & drive.
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
GregJones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2015 at 11:14pm
Can you collapse a mall over the try line? i.e. pull ball carrier down on to of the player so ball held up?
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2015 at 11:20pm
A lot of team these days are having 1 player take the ball from the line out jumper then snake his way to the back of the maul. Surely this is illegal you can't be bound on to the maul and worm your way back at the same time
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 11:07am
Originally posted by GregJones GregJones wrote:

Can you collapse a mall over the try line? i.e. pull ball carrier down on to of the player so ball held up?

Would that result in a penalty try?
And We Were Singing...
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Iwlew Iwlew wrote:

As the Maul was started in play, the Maul laws apply until the Maul has ended, i.e. a defender cannot collapse a maul, so if the officials believe that a try would probably have been scored but for the foul play, a Penalty Try would be awarded.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 3:46pm
I think you may learn all about the subject this Friday night at about 8pm !Cry
TheOracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 7:15pm
REFS KNOW SEET FA ABOUT THE CORRECT RULES OF RUGBY
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2015 at 9:14am
Originally posted by TheOracle TheOracle wrote:

REFS KNOW SEET FA ABOUT THE CORRECT RULES OF RUGBY

There are NO rules !
GregJones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I think you may learn all about the subject this Friday night at about 8pm !Cry
How true this was!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 8:39am

Originally posted by Iwlew Iwlew wrote:

As the Maul was started in play, the Maul laws apply until the Maul has ended, i.e. a defender cannot collapse a maul, so if the officials believe that a try would probably have been scored but for the foul play, a Penalty Try would be awarded.

I would hasten to add that once the ball has crossed the try line, the maul has ended and it would be deemed to have been "held up" resulting in an Attacking Scrum 5 !
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 2:47pm
Jon, watch their second try from Friday again and see how many offences you spot. I reckon there are guys leaving the line out before its over and also the truck and trailer and the man receiving the ball from the jumper/catcher drives into the back of 3 other forward clearing a path for him within the 5m channel
#George
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Jon, watch their second try from Friday again and see how many offences you spot. I reckon there are guys leaving the line out before its over and also the truck and trailer and the man receiving the ball from the jumper/catcher drives into the back of 3 other forward clearing a path for him within the 5m channel

You know I can't comment on that ... Already had one ban for Social Media comments ! Wink Shocked
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 11:16am
We all know how referees work, they will always allow the perceived `better` side to get away with more at the set piece.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 11:57am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

We all know how referees work, they will always allow the perceived `better` side to get away with more at the set piece.

Really ???? Confused
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 1:29pm

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Really ???? Confused

You disagee? You think that Leinster for example play fair every breakdown? Dummy runner blocking joining defenders and getting away with it every time but when we do that we are pinged? maybe I'm far too cynical for this but I see a huge bias go towards to so called big clubs when it comes to those tight calls.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic