Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Regions Attendance Figures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regions Attendance Figures
    Posted: 06 May 2014 at 12:35pm
I'll update this after the final weekend with us, Ospreys and Dragons all playing at home.
(Split the Judgement day attendance of 30410 between the two games @ 15205 each.)

Pro12

Blues Dragons Ospreys Scarlets Munster Leinster Ulster Connacht Glasgow Edinburgh Treviso Zebre Season Average
Blues na 10413 10615 15205 6122 5063 7084 6874 5645 7245 6986 7513 8069
Dragons 8526 na 15205 6777 7118 6174 5165 5474 3916 4574 6026 5554 6773
Ospreys 8656 8732 na 13201 5766 8656 10049 6403 5679 8356 5089 6529 7919
Scarlets 9046 6521 14796 na 6487 6329 6506 6111 6504 5675 5847 6708 7320

European Home Games

HC 1 2 3
Blues 11573 6144 12125
Ospreys 12378 6385 8347
Scarlets 8388 7591 7516
Amlin
Dragons 4474 4023 6063

Interesting to compare how close the Dragons average gate is in the league to us, yet how poorly attended their Amlin games were. Blues next season figures will also be way down on what they accomplished this season you'd imagine.

Disappointing European home attendance for us this season, how we couldn't even get a decent crowd in for the first home game (especially after that Quins away win) is worrying to say the least.

Edited by minded - 11 May 2014 at 3:39pm
Sponsored Links

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 12:37pm
Our home league attendances over the past 5 years as previously posted, we're going to need at least 9000 in for the Cardiff game to match our poor 2008/09 average Cry:-

MunsterLeinsterUlsterConnachtGlasgowEdinburghTrevisoZebre/AirioniOspreysDragonsCardiffSeason Average
2008-09843564366298604161036302--11444705076107302
2009-10631360756266502356305540--147396464101717358
2010-1191085142546364367149585764216123137079671112007843
2011-12107418823707575349869618865946493147567950130479006
2012-1371246559708958866901631491295757141117863104267924
2013-146487632965066111650456755847670814796652190467320

Edited by minded - 11 May 2014 at 3:36pm
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 12:51pm
Judgement Day is a boost to the Blues and Dragons Rabo averages. I think it's a mistake for us and the Ospreys not to host a home Judgement Day every other season alternating between the Blues and Dragons as opposition.

We've dropped almost 2,000 from our average gate in two years.
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Judgement Day is a boost to the Blues and Dragons Rabo averages. I think it's a mistake for us and the Ospreys not to host a home Judgement Day every other season alternating between the Blues and Dragons as opposition.

We've dropped almost 2,000 from our average gate in two years.

Don't think they'd have Scarlets Ospreys game for judgement day, its the rare time when parc y scarlets is filled out and they can sell plenty of food and drink. 
Would putting it in millennium result in a bigger crowd? Wouldn't be a huge amount more.
And We Were Singing...
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 1:00pm
Yes agree. I said alternating between the Blues and Dregs as opposition.
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 1:07pm
Our attendances this season have been noticeably lower than last year. I think it's actually quite alarming how far we've dropped.

We can't do anything with the prices, but I hope the club are thinking of ways to arrest the decline because that can't be helping our finances.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

We can't do anything with the prices, but I hope the club are thinking of ways to arrest the decline because that can't be helping our finance

When Ben Morgan was sold, it was a killer - but we had to understand the reasons.

When Nigel Davies left, an uneasy feeling about the future was developing - but he wasn't all that great a coach, was he? So we swallowed that and carried on.

When George North was sold, people did start giving up. They started giving up because they saw the club giving up. It was as much symbolic as it was about the player himself. It sent out a message of futility and you could sense it at the matches and with supporters last season and this season. We were demoralised and all the momentum the club had created between 2009 and 2012 was completely undone.

So, not surprising at all.

We need a financial injection to recover now. No amount of promotions and PR will make a dent. We need a better season on the field, followed by a summer where we don't lose any of our best players, and we recruit a player or two that excites the supporters.

Not easy given the disgraceful situation in Welsh rugby. In the meantime, we just need to hope the core support sticks with the club during this period. We've certainly got no future otherwise.

Edited by Mike - 06 May 2014 at 1:23pm
InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 2:12pm
Mike is completely correct, there is little hope in the support of the region at the moment. We've seen all our best players leave and everyone in Europe overtake us in signing players while the Union has tried to run us into the ground.

Without playing exciting rugby, playing winning rugby or a sense of hope for the future, crowds always suffer. We played exciting rugby and had a bit hope we could do well when Nigel and Ben were here. Our crowd numbers were growing and there was a feeling we could build on something.

Any sort of confidence in the welsh domestic game has been eroded since the new PA really started to bite. It isn't going to get much better for a good few seasons too. We badly need money and I am not sure where its coming from. Times are tough bois bach.

PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 2:36pm

We've certainly got no future otherwise.

Christ. I've got jet-lag and I'm back in work. I might get nihilist tattooed on my face and go and walk into the sea now, Mike.

As usual, you're spot-on though. That season we beat the Saints away in the Heineken Cup really felt as if it was building to something special. Talk about premature. Things look dramatically different now. I genuinely don't know where we're going at the moment and I wonder if the club does; I mean, it's clearly been tough for them as a business over the last couple of years and our position is so elastic - the crowds (as you've pointed out) seem to respond to every recruitment decision the club makes so the only way to bring folks back is to sign some 'big names'. And I can't see that happening because we can't afford to keep our best players, let alone sign a 'name'.

It's a bit of a spiral of decline that we nearly got ourselves out of. Like a street drinker cleaning himself up and then burgling a Spar for White Ace. Or something like that.

Now, where's my local tattoo parlour...

Edited by PearlJam - 06 May 2014 at 2:55pm
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 5:06pm

We can't do anything with the prices, but I hope the club are thinking of ways to arrest the decline because that can't be helping our finance

When Ben Morgan was sold, it was a killer - but we had to understand the reasons.

When Nigel Davies left, an uneasy feeling about the future was developing - but he wasn't all that great a coach, was he? So we swallowed that and carried on.

When George North was sold, people did start giving up. They started giving up because they saw the club giving up. It was as much symbolic as it was about the player himself. It sent out a message of futility and you could sense it at the matches and with supporters last season and this season. We were demoralised and all the momentum the club had created between 2009 and 2012 was completely undone.

So, not surprising at all.

We need a financial injection to recover now. No amount of promotions and PR will make a dent. We need a better season on the field, followed by a summer where we don't lose any of our best players, and we recruit a player or two that excites the supporters.

Not easy given the disgraceful situation in Welsh rugby. In the meantime, we just need to hope the core support sticks with the club during this period. We've certainly got no future otherwise.
excellent post mike sums it up nicely.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 5:15pm

We've certainly got no future otherwise.

Christ. I've got jet-lag and I'm back in work. I might get nihilist tattooed on my face and go and walk into the sea now, Mike.

As usual, you're spot-on though. That season we beat the Saints away in the Heineken Cup really felt as if it was building to something special. Talk about premature. Things look dramatically different now. I genuinely don't know where we're going at the moment and I wonder if the club does; I mean, it's clearly been tough for them as a business over the last couple of years and our position is so elastic - the crowds (as you've pointed out) seem to respond to every recruitment decision the club makes so the only way to bring folks back is to sign some 'big names'. And I can't see that happening because we can't afford to keep our best players, let alone sign a 'name'.

It's a bit of a spiral of decline that we nearly got ourselves out of. Like a street drinker cleaning himself up and then burgling a Spar for White Ace. Or something like that.

Now, where's my local tattoo parlour...

Funny you should mention that Saints game.

All the work done by the academy and the reforms put in by Nigel Davies had borne fruit by the end of 2011. We had developed one of the best batches of young players ever to come through at a club in Wales. It culminated with the bonus point win at Franklin's Gardens just months after they had contested the previous season's Heineken Cup final.

It was a pretty extraordinary turnaround from the shambolic state of affairs that Nigel inherited in the summer of 2009. To get into that position two years later, and on a reduced budget, was a tremendous achievement from everyone at the club.

At the end of 2011, we had the ingredients to put the club back on the map in Europe and the platform for a really exciting era potentially.

But for that to happen we needed to maintain the momentum by two things happening. Firstly we needed a resolution to the WRU-RRW situation so that our gold-standard batch of stars would be the first in the queue to be retained in Wales under a new agreement. Secondly, we needed to avoid bad luck on the field in key moments.

We had two desperate bits of misfortune. After winning our opening two European games, we had Munster at home in round 3. Unfortunately this game came a week after Wales' extra Autumn test.

Not only did this hamper our preparation while Munster had a full two weeks together, it also cost us George North who got injured in that Australia game. We ended up losing to Munster by a single score and no-one will convince me that we wouldn't have won if we'd had the two weeks preparation time and George in the side. Indeed, Munster's try that day came from an individual error from Dan Newton who wouldn't have been playing had George not got injured the week before with Wales.

The misfortune of George's injury and Wales' extra fixture cost us, IMO, a first Heineken Cup quarter final in 5 years and at least about £300,000 in competition prize money (more than the transfer fee we actively sold George to Saints for). A run to the European Cup knock-out stages would have not only kept the momentum going, it would have given it an extra charge.

The second bit of misfortune was, ironically, the pace of Ben Morgan's emergence. Had a few variables not come together at the same time, there was a strong possibility that Ben would have opted to represent Wales and we'd have secured a massive ball-carrier for a number of years. 

Our decline, regardless of the play-off place in 2013, began at the end of that season. Ben's departure left a massive hole on the field. The lack of resolution with the WRU meant that Nigel Davies walked - he could see what was coming - and our big players followed. Not all of them, but enough to stop-dead the progress and put us into a tail-spin.

Bit of a hard-luck tale, but things could have been so different for us now had the WRU wanted to back regional rugby, and a couple of things went our way.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 5:44pm
Next season for us I believe is the biggest in the clubs history fail next year and it could be the end of the road. We need to go out in summer and buy big and really go for it, the fans will come If we play good rugby a top class 10 centre and 8 we could be up there I believe we don't need to get in volume just class.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 8:21pm
A superb post Mike we really do need a special season to get supporters back. I don't care where they come from as long as they come to the Parc. We need a cash injection, does anyone now how much money we will get from BT?
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Next season for us I believe is the biggest in the clubs history fail next year and it could be the end of the road. We need to go out in summer and buy big and really go for it, the fans will come If we play good rugby a top class 10 centre and 8 we could be up there I believe we don't need to get in volume just class.

I'd say a wing more than a centre. With King returning as well as Scott Williams, Gareth Maule, Adam Warren and Nic Reynolds were alright for now in midfield.
And We Were Singing...
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 10:26pm
Excellent posts, Mike. The key points for me - the situation we find ourselves in now is the direct result of the WRU's long term policy of divide and conquer, death by a thousand cuts. Proves to me how important that decision was not to renew the PA.

The other key point is the hard-core 5.5 - 6k or so who are the very life blood of the club. We must do all we can to at least retain these and hopefully increase this number. 
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 2:57pm
I know it's not a total accurate but looking at the online ticket system, I doubt we've exceeded 7500 yet for Saturday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic