Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite English Club?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister Jolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Jonesyboy1000 Jonesyboy1000 wrote:

Mine has always been Richmond; here's why:

I was a horrible kid at boys' grammar / Graig, and for a while History teacher Pancho took a break and was replaced by an urbane, softly spoken John-Lennon-bespectacled student with a pony tail down to his rrrs,who was then duly eaten alive every lesson by 4G and just carried on calmly, reasoning with us, never shouting etc. Every now and then Pancho would drop in to administer his famous knee drop into somebody's back to calm things down a bit....and so it proceeded for a few weeks....

But then one Saturday I nipped down to Stradey with the boys to see Scarlets v Richmond (decent team then, too!) and who should turn out a 15 for Richmond - yes, the aforementioned student. he was an absolute flyer and brilliant. Pony tail tucked inside his shirt. Ran on at half time and full time to say hello, and he was charming as usual.

From then on his lessons were perfect....we loved the bloke...And he never played the rugby card, which made it all the more memorable and inspiring.
Great story!  What a billiant teacher Pancho was, totally respected by everyone.  Remember him wiping the blackboard in U4 with a couple of boys from our class. Big smile

Having watched a couple of matches in 'the shed' at Kingsholm with a mate, who's a big Gloucester fan, I have to say their support, enthusiasm & passion for their team is very much like ours.  I keep an eye on their scores, but wouldn't go any further than that.  Still trying to forget the time the Scarlets were robbed there in the 2000-01 ERC.  Cry
Just because my second name's Jolly, it doesn't mean I have to be jolly all the ****ing time

Jolly Tours - A jolly time for all (just keep away from the fountains)
Sponsored Links

rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 6:21am
None of them . If I had to pick one it would be London Welsh .

Agree though that bath is a good place to go and watch a game .
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Mister Jolly Mister Jolly wrote:

I was a horrible kid at boys' grammar / Graig, and for a while History teacher Pancho took a break and was replaced by an urbane, softly spoken John-Lennon-bespectacled student with a pony tail down to his rrrs,who was then duly eaten alive every lesson by 4G and just carried on calmly, reasoning with us, never shouting etc. Every now and then Pancho would drop in to administer his famous knee drop into somebody's back to calm things down a bit....and so it proceeded for a few weeks....

But then one Saturday I nipped down to Stradey with the boys to see Scarlets v Richmond (decent team then, too!) and who should turn out a 15 for Richmond - yes, the aforementioned student. he was an absolute flyer and brilliant. Pony tail tucked inside his shirt. Ran on at half time and full time to say hello, and he was charming as usual.

From then on his lessons were perfect....we loved the bloke...And he never played the rugby card, which made it all the more memorable and inspiring.
Great story!  What a billiant teacher Pancho was, totally respected by everyone.  Remember him wiping the blackboard in U4 with a couple of boys from our class. Big smile

Having watched a couple of matches in 'the shed' at Kingsholm with a mate, who's a big Gloucester fan, I have to say their support, enthusiasm & passion for their team is very much like ours.  I keep an eye on their scores, but wouldn't go any further than that.  Still trying to forget the time the Scarlets were robbed there in the 2000-01 ERC.  Cry
elton moncriefs drop goal off phil johns arse.Cry
Ian Lewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 7:37am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Wasn't it Phil Booth's shoulder?
It's not always about where you end up, it's about how you get there.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Ian Lewis Ian Lewis wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Wasn't it Phil Booth's shoulder?
thanks,as i wrote john i thought it was wrong,i may be wrong about the arse as well.Big smile
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 9:39am
One of my closest mates up here who is a hardcore Wasps supporter, supports us Scarlets in Wales because I'm Scarlet through and through, and then vice versa for me, I support Wasps for the same reasons :-)
I've been to see games at Adams Park and worn the Wasps colours, and he's also worn Scarlets colours when he's been to watch the Scarlets with me (he's actually watched two Scarlets Heineken game with me over the years (London Irish & Quins).

We've watched the Wasps v Scarlets games at Adams Park over the years too, obviously supporting our own on those occasions, which is highly amusing for onlookers as we give each other verbal all game (no swearing I might add), but stand arm in arm for the duration LOLLOLLOL
Scarlets!!!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 9:45am
Originally posted by ewbank2 ewbank2 wrote:

London Irish for me. Their supporters are very gracious in defeat and great hosts
shame the same cant be said about the players and coaches!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 9:50am
If we are talking fans wise, the best lot for me are Leicester, Bath and Gloucester. great knowledgable fans, more than willing to have a laugh pre match, during and after and that sums the sport up perfectly.

Which team i prefer rugby wise will all come down to respect i guess, and Leicester are up there for me as one of the highly respected sides. The trophy cabinet speaks for itself, and they never buy a side. they use their acadamy and if they do sign from overseas, they sign quality. a great model imo and an example to follow.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 1:14pm
Ive always had a soft spot for Bath > growing up in the 80s Bath were the team. Tony Swift, Halliday and then Barnes and Guscott the brand of rugby being similar to the Scarlets style.

I must say though i like the Northampton ground and realy enjoyed at Harlequins too.

Bath has to be no 1 though.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 4:47pm
Thought this thread was a wind-up to begin with! Support an 'English' team, indeed!

All the same - when at uni, I used to pop up to L Welsh every few weeks to see JPR, Gerald, Merv the Swerve, John Taylor, Geoff Evans, Roberts et al. They were an excellent team in those days. Also enjoyed the matches v Cardiff on the mornings of England v Wales games, as Twickers is walkable from Old Deer Park. (Note to some of you: not 'Old DEAR Park'LOL)

I've gone off them a bit since the slur on Manu early season, though!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic