Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corey Baldwin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

He wouldn't be the first centre/wing/fullback who's had to start off his career playing out of position so I really don't see it as a massive issue especially as the club see/saw him as a long term centre. Being versatile didn't do Parkes, Jamie Roberts, Tom Shanklin, Daf James, Sean Lamont, Finau etc. any harm.

He was getting game time in the league and Europe which I'd consider as the main thing for a youngster. Only time will tell if we should have played or paid him more.

Jamie Roberts was mainly wing and full back. That’s the last place you’d expect him to play. 
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I have been told from a very strong source that Corey's move has nothing to do with him wanting to play for England. For sure his father is a very proud Englishman. Corey was made an offer by the Scarlets; he was the also made a far better financial offer by Exeter. By the time the Scarlets matched the offer he had already been convinced about the benefits of the move with the quality coaching available, his ability to be considered available for both England & Wales with a squad considered to be the best in England for next season with serious European ambitions. 

He also wants to play centre. I am also told that we should keep a very close eye on his younger brother who is every bit as good as Corey was at 17/18. 

I hate this, the boy is going to be quality. His contract should of been sorted out last summer. Management have seriously dropped a bollock on this. Hopefully lessons will be learnt and I hope the likes of Conbeer, Osian Knott, Dan Davis and Jac Morgan are tied down.

I share your view but it is a hell of a job balancing the books which is only going to get harder over the next few seasons. From what I have heard recently both Scott & Corey are serious bollocks dropped. 

It is odd why we undervalued him both financially and as a player. I heard that Brad really rated him yet he played at 13 twice was it? Against Bayonne he was outstanding and looked every bit the new Fox yet he then played him wing again.
In addition, while I know Exeter are a well managed club, at the moment (current issues aside) we were in as good a financial position as we have ever been so maybe we were chancing our arm a bit with the money. It seems now unless we sign someone (probably on more money), we have a fragile Foxy and a host of good club players to try and complete with the likes of Leinster. Confused

Yeah exactly, someone has dropped a bollock. I was really looking forward to him and Osian Knott as our 12/13 starters in a few seasons time, then we are only shopping around for squad players, and we have those.
I also don't get why we were shuffling natural 12's in to 13 all season (Steff Hughes is a quality 12, he is not a 13), when we had Cory available. Surely it was the perfect time to develop him.

We can’t keep hold of every player that’s impossible. 

That's true,without a doubt.However,when one of the country's brightest prospects in a problem position is allowed to be poached by an English club after being brought through the system,iand n spite of all measures taken to keep players in Wales......surely some questions need to be asked?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 10:12am

I have been told from a very strong source that Corey's move has nothing to do with him wanting to play for England. For sure his father is a very proud Englishman. Corey was made an offer by the Scarlets; he was the also made a far better financial offer by Exeter. By the time the Scarlets matched the offer he had already been convinced about the benefits of the move with the quality coaching available, his ability to be considered available for both England & Wales with a squad considered to be the best in England for next season with serious European ambitions. 

He also wants to play centre. I am also told that we should keep a very close eye on his younger brother who is every bit as good as Corey was at 17/18. 

I hate this, the boy is going to be quality. His contract should of been sorted out last summer. Management have seriously dropped a bollock on this. Hopefully lessons will be learnt and I hope the likes of Conbeer, Osian Knott, Dan Davis and Jac Morgan are tied down.

I share your view but it is a hell of a job balancing the books which is only going to get harder over the next few seasons. From what I have heard recently both Scott & Corey are serious bollocks dropped. 

It is odd why we undervalued him both financially and as a player. I heard that Brad really rated him yet he played at 13 twice was it? Against Bayonne he was outstanding and looked every bit the new Fox yet he then played him wing again.
In addition, while I know Exeter are a well managed club, at the moment (current issues aside) we were in as good a financial position as we have ever been so maybe we were chancing our arm a bit with the money. It seems now unless we sign someone (probably on more money), we have a fragile Foxy and a host of good club players to try and complete with the likes of Leinster. Confused

Yeah exactly, someone has dropped a bollock. I was really looking forward to him and Osian Knott as our 12/13 starters in a few seasons time, then we are only shopping around for squad players, and we have those.
I also don't get why we were shuffling natural 12's in to 13 all season (Steff Hughes is a quality 12, he is not a 13), when we had Cory available. Surely it was the perfect time to develop him.

just the good ones jar.Wink
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 10:57am
I have sat on the fence long enough, I feel Baldwin is a very good prospect, I honestly do not rate him as highly as some who have posted. I think the end result may be a very good player, and like everyone I'm sad he's going.

There are some parallels with Owen Williams's position. Owen was offered a contract turned it down, and left for more money to the then glamour side Leicester, (allegedly he signed and then told the Scarlets he'd signed without an opportunity of a counter offer) 

Baldwin was offered a contract turned it down and has gone to the current glamour side Exeter. There was more money on the table, and also he wants to play centre. Scarlets came back with the offer, but Baldwin (or his agent) had decided he should move. Baxter in his press release said he was a wing who could play centre, so I'm not certain of where they are going to play him.

He has played 24 games for the Scarlets, mainly on the wing and has not really been tested at centre, I don't know why, but it's not the case that we are short of wings, so it may be something the coaches saw in him that needed to be improved. I exclude Bayonne home game in this, the team that came over was a mixture of fringe and development players and like all French clubs when out of the cup they don't care.

The books must be balanced, and we are unable to keep everyone, remember this time last year Boyd was going and everyone was up in arms, very few are passing comment now.

The other issues is regardless how much coaches and clubs want to keep players they must keep within the parameters set out in the pay structure, and also we all read how much influence agents have.

I hope Baldwin is a success, and I also hope he follows Steve Jones., Foxy, Liam Williams, in going and then returning.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 12:06pm

We can debate style, circumstances, selection and personalities all day the easiest debate is results, and as things stand we're in the play off places and a quarter final in Europe so results can't be that bad.
Exactly. And I think all of us would have taken that before the season started.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

That's true,without a doubt.However,when one of the country's brightest prospects in a problem position is allowed to be poached by an English club after being brought through the system,iand n spite of all measures taken to keep players in Wales......surely some questions need to be asked?
What about the vast majority of young talent we've managed to keep in Wales?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I have sat on the fence long enough, I feel Baldwin is a very good prospect, I honestly do not rate him as highly as some who have posted. I think the end result may be a very good player, and like everyone I'm sad he's going.

There are some parallels with Owen Williams's position. Owen was offered a contract turned it down, and left for more money to the then glamour side Leicester, (allegedly he signed and then told the Scarlets he'd signed without an opportunity of a counter offer) 

Baldwin was offered a contract turned it down and has gone to the current glamour side Exeter. There was more money on the table, and also he wants to play centre. Scarlets came back with the offer, but Baldwin (or his agent) had decided he should move. Baxter in his press release said he was a wing who could play centre, so I'm not certain of where they are going to play him.

He has played 24 games for the Scarlets, mainly on the wing and has not really been tested at centre, I don't know why, but it's not the case that we are short of wings, so it may be something the coaches saw in him that needed to be improved. I exclude Bayonne home game in this, the team that came over was a mixture of fringe and development players and like all French clubs when out of the cup they don't care.

The books must be balanced, and we are unable to keep everyone, remember this time last year Boyd was going and everyone was up in arms, very few are passing comment now.

The other issues is regardless how much coaches and clubs want to keep players they must keep within the parameters set out in the pay structure, and also we all read how much influence agents have.

I hope Baldwin is a success, and I also hope he follows Steve Jones., Foxy, Liam Williams, in going and then returning.

All you say Dai is accurate and true but there is no comparison with Boyde. Boyde left because he was not offered a contract with the Scarlets as we had a good stock of back row talent. That isn't the current case at centre. Time alone will tell if Corey makes a success of his time with Exeter or indeed his career in general. I would prefer if that was in our shirt. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

We can debate style, circumstances, selection and personalities all day the easiest debate is results, and as things stand we're in the play off places and a quarter final in Europe so results can't be that bad.

There can be no argument with that. I, for one, early doors said I would be delighted & a little surprised if we made the play offs with the loss of talent we have experienced this season. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 12:42pm

We had a good  not bad not great  season, we should be in the play offs and we should be in the ko stages of this cup

I'd say 6.5 out of 10

Sadly I don't think well play another fixture in what is left of the season in pro 14 or in europe

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

All you say Dai is accurate and true but there is no comparison with Boyde. Boyde left because he was not offered a contract with the Scarlets as we had a good stock of back row talent. That isn't the current case at centre. Time alone will tell if Corey makes a success of his time with Exeter or indeed his career in general. I would prefer if that was in our shirt. 

GPR I agree and the only reason I included Boyd was that no one wanted him to go, and that is the comparison with Baldwin, not the reasons of why he was going. Times are difficult and I hope we all get through this.

Stay safe
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

We had a good  not bad not great  season, we should be in the play offs and we should be in the ko stages of this cup

I'd say 6.5 out of 10

Sadly I don't think well play another fixture in what is left of the season in pro 14 or in europe

Bear in mind we have done that largely without any of our intls and significant injuries so I'm 7.5 not perfect but definitely progress. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 3:00pm

"In a problem position"-Can you not read what I've written?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 3:12pm

You are talking complete and utter crap as usual. You have no knowledge whatsoever of the reasons behind his move.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 4:00pm

You are talking complete and utter crap as usual. You have no knowledge whatsoever of the reasons behind his move.

And,as usual,you adopt a persona of stratified mystergogy,based solely upon the erroneous assumption that you are party to a greater truth that entitles you to be dismissive of those of us unfortunate enough not to belong to the ranks of the initiated few.I suggest that you learn to accept that truth is based upon understanding information and criticisng it,as opposed to its mere possession.Also,try to read more often:it might help with your ability to write...."talking complete and utter crap"is hardly likely to further your credibility as someone who professes to make a living from using words.You could start with reading Boswell's  Life of Johnson,ahere you will find the instructive quote"Every profession is a conspiracy against the layman".
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 6:07pm
   The thing is with Corey nearly all his games with Llandovery were on the wing ,he as rarely played centre in senior rugby .
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2020 at 7:46am

Steady on Steff - thats not like you. Dic, like us all, is perfectly entitled to his views - many of which I would add I agree with so a suggestion that he is talking c... as usual is way off the mark. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic