Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corey Baldwin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

josh adams is imo a top class winger I would have liked to have signed him long term  even if that meant losing jonny mac but stef  raises a valid point too many welsh internationals at the region can be counter productive as we miss them for so much of the season with wales and often with injuries as well

eg Adams is a  slightly better player than stef evans but stef will be better value as you get him for a full season

Losing Baldwin was a blow but you can't blame him he did not get enough game time , especially in the centre

Well see how good he is if he can get in this Exeter team, if he does hell have a great chance of test caps and winning trophys
I didn't advocate us signing adams Unhappy

I didn't say you did, I said I would have :)
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 12:33pm

josh adams is imo a top class winger I would have liked to have signed him long term  even if that meant losing jonny mac but stef  raises a valid point too many welsh internationals at the region can be counter productive as we miss them for so much of the season with wales and often with injuries as well

eg Adams is a  slightly better player than stef evans but stef will be better value as you get him for a full season

Losing Baldwin was a blow but you can't blame him he did not get enough game time , especially in the centre

Well see how good he is if he can get in this Exeter team, if he does hell have a great chance of test caps and winning trophys
I didn't advocate us signing adams Unhappy
 Thumbs Up
I didn't say you did, I said I would have :)
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 2:21pm
He wouldn't be the first centre/wing/fullback who's had to start off his career playing out of position so I really don't see it as a massive issue especially as the club see/saw him as a long term centre. Being versatile didn't do Parkes, Jamie Roberts, Tom Shanklin, Daf James, Sean Lamont, Finau etc. any harm.

He was getting game time in the league and Europe which I'd consider as the main thing for a youngster. Only time will tell if we should have played or paid him more.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

He wouldn't be the first centre/wing/fullback who's had to start off his career playing out of position so I really don't see it as a massive issue especially as the club see/saw him as a long term centre. Being versatile didn't do Parkes, Jamie Roberts, Tom Shanklin, Daf James, Sean Lamont, Finau etc. any harm.

He was getting game time in the league and Europe which I'd consider as the main thing for a youngster. Only time will tell if we should have played or paid him more.

Unearthed!Another unsuspecting victim of The Amazing Mister Mooar,Hypnotist Extraordinaire.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 2:36pm
What's any of that got to do with Mooar? Bit obsessive aren't you?
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 3:31pm
you really have got it in for brad haven't you. signs like he has a massive chip on his shoulder
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

you really have got it in for brad haven't you. signs like he has a massive chip on his shoulder
 I think dic penderyyn-baldwin might have a personal interest.LOL
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 3:50pm

None whatsoever,old boy..Even if I were to think of young Baldwin as,for example,something like 'son-in-law material',I would never let it cloud my judgement of his merits as a rugby-footballer...WinkWinkWink
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 4:27pm
Wink
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

None whatsoever,old boy..Even if I were to think of young Baldwin as,for example,something like 'son-in-law material',I would never let it cloud my judgement of his merits as a rugby-footballer...WinkWinkWink
Wink
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I have been told from a very strong source that Corey's move has nothing to do with him wanting to play for England. For sure his father is a very proud Englishman. Corey was made an offer by the Scarlets; he was the also made a far better financial offer by Exeter. By the time the Scarlets matched the offer he had already been convinced about the benefits of the move with the quality coaching available, his ability to be considered available for both England & Wales with a squad considered to be the best in England for next season with serious European ambitions. 

He also wants to play centre. I am also told that we should keep a very close eye on his younger brother who is every bit as good as Corey was at 17/18. 

I heard the same a few months ago from a youngster at work who knows Corey and has played with/against him for years.He echoed the views on his brother ,too.
Baldwin's departure is a serious indictment of Mooar's time in charge.As far as I'm concerned,Mooar has excelled at P.R,and little else.Let's hope for a head-coach who wants to win trophies and sticks to his task no matter who comes knocking.

Mooar is obviously a very good coach. Asst at Crusaders and now NZ. Yet, many of the games we played were v poor. So he does deserve some criticism. Maybe we have dodged a bullet, maybe it would all come good next year. We'll never know. We wont play again under his stewardship.
Scarlets before Wales
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 6:40am
Molar has never had our first team available and has given youngsters their chance. We offered what we thought Baldwin was worth he had his head turned, by the sounds of it we matched that what more could we have done. 
He's not ripped up trees this season had a few good games but not been our best player by far. I trust a man who has been selected to coach best side in world, and sees players in training every day to make the right call. 
We might regret it but then so may Cory as he is far from guaranteed first team rugby at Exeter. Better to have players who want to be at club than not and if we offered him the same money he clearly did not want to stay.  
Good luck to him I hope he does well, he has been fortunate to have had the benefit of being at one of best set ups in the country playing and training with some of the best players in his position to learn from. 

Edited by Why - 16 April 2020 at 6:40am
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Molar has never had our first team available and has given youngsters their chance. We offered what we thought Baldwin was worth he had his head turned, by the sounds of it we matched that what more could we have done. 
He's not ripped up trees this season had a few good games but not been our best player by far. I trust a man who has been selected to coach best side in world, and sees players in training every day to make the right call. 
We might regret it but then so may Cory as he is far from guaranteed first team rugby at Exeter. Better to have players who want to be at club than not and if we offered him the same money he clearly did not want to stay.  
Good luck to him I hope he does well, he has been fortunate to have had the benefit of being at one of best set ups in the country playing and training with some of the best players in his position to learn from. 

What you say above is totally correct. However you have to judge any decision in the context of where you are right now in terms of your resources. This season we have not had our top 2 13's fit for many games so we decide to select a 12 to play 13 when most seasoned observers understand that the individual concerned lacks many of the skills to play that position. Meanwhile we have a successful under 20's operator who has played 13 all his rugby life playing 14 while another successful 20's player at 11/14 benches or doesn't feature.

Now many of us expressed our deep concerns with the selection policy which contributed to a woeful 2018/19 season under Pivac - some of this season's selections have been as baffling - not as wholesale as 2018/19 I would suggest but baffling nevertheless. 

Of course the decision of Corey to leave has been amplified by the news that Parkes is going but that should not hide the fact that we must already be planning for life without Hadleigh, Foxy & Fonotia so losing someone with Corey's ability and potential is not good. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I thought he lacked bite.LOL
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 7:42am
I agree with what you are saying but if others were doing better in training and fitted the game plan then they will be selected. If Baldwin and Conbeer were tearing it up in training and a cut above others selected then Mooar would be making selections detrimental to his career and to the team not to pick them. 
Another thought is perhaps he was protecting these two youngsters from too much game time bearing in mind they have long careers ahead of them. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 8:47am
We can debate style, circumstances, selection and personalities all day the easiest debate is results, and as things stand we're in the play off places and a quarter final in Europe so results can't be that bad.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

I have been told from a very strong source that Corey's move has nothing to do with him wanting to play for England. For sure his father is a very proud Englishman. Corey was made an offer by the Scarlets; he was the also made a far better financial offer by Exeter. By the time the Scarlets matched the offer he had already been convinced about the benefits of the move with the quality coaching available, his ability to be considered available for both England & Wales with a squad considered to be the best in England for next season with serious European ambitions. 

He also wants to play centre. I am also told that we should keep a very close eye on his younger brother who is every bit as good as Corey was at 17/18. 

I hate this, the boy is going to be quality. His contract should of been sorted out last summer. Management have seriously dropped a bollock on this. Hopefully lessons will be learnt and I hope the likes of Conbeer, Osian Knott, Dan Davis and Jac Morgan are tied down.

I share your view but it is a hell of a job balancing the books which is only going to get harder over the next few seasons. From what I have heard recently both Scott & Corey are serious bollocks dropped. 

It is odd why we undervalued him both financially and as a player. I heard that Brad really rated him yet he played at 13 twice was it? Against Bayonne he was outstanding and looked every bit the new Fox yet he then played him wing again.
In addition, while I know Exeter are a well managed club, at the moment (current issues aside) we were in as good a financial position as we have ever been so maybe we were chancing our arm a bit with the money. It seems now unless we sign someone (probably on more money), we have a fragile Foxy and a host of good club players to try and complete with the likes of Leinster. Confused

Yeah exactly, someone has dropped a bollock. I was really looking forward to him and Osian Knott as our 12/13 starters in a few seasons time, then we are only shopping around for squad players, and we have those.
I also don't get why we were shuffling natural 12's in to 13 all season (Steff Hughes is a quality 12, he is not a 13), when we had Cory available. Surely it was the perfect time to develop him.

We can’t keep hold of every player that’s impossible. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic